etsy shop

CHECK OUT MY ETSY SHOP - CLICK HERE

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

mariners rooster quilt

mariners rooster quilt
27" x 27"
$50.00
http://www.etsy.com/listing/89251934/rooster-wall-art-quilt



  My mother showed me how to do this type of quilt using paper piecing for the inside star and then a freezer paper piecing method for the outer ring of the star. It is really fun and relatively easy. She suggested that for fabrics, first you pick your border fabric and then pull colors from that for the rest. Since I had this cute baby chicks in yellow I chose different shades of yellow and white for the background.


then of course I had to add something a little crazy so I made an appliqued rooster with the fusible method and quilted some texture making it look a bit like feathers with a variegated thread.


It's hard to see in the photo but I quilted the open areas with - well feathers of course!


This was really fun to make and I encourage anyone that is a quilter to try a mariners compass. They really are easier than they look - this one is a simple version for the beginner. 

Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

  1. I love this quilt. It makes me smile with the whimsy and I love your rooster!

    ReplyDelete