etsy shop

CHECK OUT MY ETSY SHOP - CLICK HERE

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Knife edge binding

 

I just finished quilting this simple yet beautiful (let the fabric do the talking) landscape and couldn't find a binding or border that would work. I saw someone on twitter link to a tutorial on knife edge or invisible binding and thought, huh! Can't settle on a binding color? Just don't do one :-)


The link to the tutorial is here at bloomin' workshop - basically you sew the binding to the front as usual but each side separately, sewing close to the edge as above photo before turning to the back and sewing down by hand. I highly recommend checking out the tutorial.


Here's the back all sewn down. If you leave the two sides of the top open, you could fit a thin dowel in there for hanging.

I like this technique alot but learned on this one, if I plan on putting alot of "stuff" - in this case yarn grass and ground cover - do it AFTER you bind. You need to steam iron the binding to get it flat and I couldn't really do it that good with all the grass making it thick. Although then I couldn't put a dowel in the bottom which I like to do to help it also lay flat because the dowel holder or lower binding would be sewn over. But then again, with all the grass, the weight of that should be heavy enough that I shouldn't need the lower dowel. The other problem with inserting a hanging dowel is the shadow created by the ripple from the dowel. See the shadow in the sky? I couldn't figure out what that was because it on,y showed up in the photos, but then realized it was a shadow.

Any ideas on how to hang a quilt using the knife edge border technique?


Happy Quilting!

 

1 comment:

  1. I have seen some quilts hung with either foam board or plexiglass in a sleeve or pocket on the back. That probably doesn't answer your question, but it is another way to hang them. :)

    ReplyDelete